ODU Study Abroad Scholarship Application for Semester or Yearlong Programs
Old Dominion University has a number of scholarships designated to help support students who are studying abroad. By completing this scholarship application, you will be considered for the following awards:
- Deans' Education Abroad Awards: $1,500 - $2,500 awards provided by the Deans of ODU's Colleges and the Center for Global Engagement to academically deserving students accepted for an approved semester or yearlong study abroad program. Each College has pledged money to support its students who are pursuing a study abroad experience.
Required Eligibility: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher; degree-seeking student currently enrolled at ODU; acceptance into an approved semester- or year-long study abroad program. After returning from study abroad, students must also provide service to the ODU community. This could include staffing information tables at the Study Abroad Fair, presenting study abroad experience at information sessions, classroom presentations, and pre-departure orientations, and/or serving as a peer mentor.
Preferred Eligibility: Demonstrated financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Jane L. and Robert H. Weiner International Affairs Scholarship: Up to $2,000 awarded annually with priority given to a student with financial need who has been accepted for study at an ISEP member institution in a developing country.
Eligibility: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher; declared major; enrolled full-time; acceptance into an approved semester- or year-long study abroad program in the developing world.
- Strome College of Business Endowed Study Abroad Scholarship: A $1,000 scholarship awarded to an outstanding student in the Strome College of Business.
Eligibility: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher; declared major in the College of Business; enrolled full-time; acceptance into an approved semester- or year-long study abroad program.
- World Languages & Cultures Major Scholarship: All declared foreign language majors are guaranteed a scholarship award of $1500 to support their participation in an approved study abroad program. This one-time award can be used for a semester, year, or summer program.
Eligibility: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher; officially declared foreign language major at the time of application; enrolled full-time; acceptance into an approved study abroad program.
- Lisa B. Smith and Maurice A. Jones Study Abroad Scholarship: Up to $1000 awarded annually to a Pell-eligible undergraduate student from the City of Norfolk or Hampton Roads Community
Eligibility: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher; Pell-eligible undergraduate student; enrolled full-time; acceptance into an approved study abroad program.
- Other scholarships (as available): Occasionally we receive funding for additional scholarships. Applicants will be reviewed for these opportunities as appropriate.
- 300-500 word essay describing what motivates you to study abroad, what you hope to gain from the experience, and how it might relate to your future academic and/or career goals.
- Completed application for a semester exchange or affiliated program.
- One letter of recommendation from current or former college faculty members (to be requested electronically). While only one letter of recommendation is required, two is recommended. You may request up to three.